Destinations - Dodecanese
The island of Karpathos is located between the two well know Greek islands of Rhodes and Crete. Its magnificent beaches, its secluded small bays, its imposing mountain peaks and its local inhabitants who dress up in their traditional costumes. Karpathos comprises of 10 villages lived in by approximately 6,000 people total. All villages preserve intensively the traditional style of the island.
In the South East of the island you can find Pigadia (Karpathos), capital and main port of the island built on the site of the ancient Greek city of Karpathos. It's a modern town, pleasant enough, but with out any eminent buildings or sites. The town is built on the edge of Vronti bay, a four kilometer sandy beach where you can go swimming. On the beach are the remains of the early Christian basilica of Agia Fotini. The capital is surrounded by the villages of Menetes, Arkasa, Aperi, Volada and Othos.
Karpathos terrain is mountainous with Lastos as the highest mountain with an altitude of 1225m and Kali Limni which rises majestically from the heart of Karpathos.
With a history dating back to the Minoan era and Mycenean tombs and settlements going back to the second century B.C. In the Doric times (1000 BC) it was referred to as Tetrapolis, after the four famous cities, Potideo (Pigadia), Arkessia (the present Arkasa), Vrykous and Nissyros (in the area of Olympos). In the Classic and Hellenistic periods followed the history of the rest of Greece. In 42 BC Karpathos was conquered by the Romans and later became part of the Byzantine Empire. From the 7th to 10th century A.D. Karpathos was ravaged by the pirates. The people who lived close to the sea moved to the mountains. The island was invaded by the Genoans, St. John's Knights, the Venetians and the Turks. In the 1821 revolution Karpathos was liberated and in 1830 was given back to the Turks under a treaty. In 1912 the island was conquered by the Italians and in 1948 it was liberated and joined the rest of Greece.